Q Menu
< Treforest Conference Facilities

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What happens if I miss the deadline for requesting a modified paper?

A. Where it is not possible (due to time constraints) for WJEC to produce a modified paper, the centre may enlarge the relevant paper (under secure conditions) up to 90 minutes before the scheduled start time of the examination.

Q. What happens if a candidate's coursework is either partially or wholly accidentally lost or destroyed? (through no fault of the candidate)

A. Centres are asked (in all circumstances) to submit a completed copy of JCQ/LCW FORM 15 to  Special Requirements at WJEC and to the moderator.

Q. What happens if a candidate attends for an examination with a temporary injury?

A. Centres may submit an application for a suitable access arrangement (scribe) using AAO. Centres may also wish to apply for Special Consideration if appropriate using the online system.

Q. We have several candidates with hearing and speech difficulties. What concessions can be given to these candidates when sitting MFL/Welsh 1st Lang/Welsh 2nd Lang “oral” or English “speaking and listening” examinations?

A. Candidates with substantial speech or hearing impairments may (through the examination centre) currently apply for an exemption from the speaking and listening and oral components of the above examinations. Any candidate approved by WJEC for exemption from such a component would have their overall grade enhanced (in Wales) but the certificate would contain an indicated endorsement for that subject.

N.B. For English Language (in England) the overall grade will remain unchanged with an endorsement indicator being placed against that grade.

Q. What are the minimum requirements for enhanced grading in cases of acceptable absence?

GCE 25% of the total assessment must be completed. 

  • For A Level linear specifications, a candidate must have completed a minimum of 25% of the total assessment.
  • For A Level unitised specifications, a candidate must have completed a minimum of 25% of the total assessment with at least one A2 unit.
  • An A Level award will not be issued on the basis of AS units alone.
  • Enhancement given at AS Level will be carried forward to A Level. 

GCSE 25% of the total assessment must be completed. (In rare and exceptional circumstances WJEC has discretion to award an enhanced grade on a lower percentage.)   

Q. One of our candidates did not join our school until Year 11. As he was not at our school when the first of the two required pieces of coursework was completed, and has nothing from his previous school, he has only one piece for submission. We feel it would be unfair to ask him to complete a second piece due to time constraints. Is there anything we can do in terms of averaging marks so that he is not penalised for not being here?

A. Dispensation for reduced coursework can only be given if a candidate was subject to an unforseen illness/bereavement or other misfortune during the period when the work was produced. This does not include a candidate being entered for an examination at a later stage than would normally be the case.
No adjustment to marks should be made by a centre under any circumstances. Regrettably, no dispensation can be given in these cases.