Examine with us
Please read through our criteria and application process before applying
DO I QUALIFY?
To become an Examiner or Moderator, you will need to meet the criteria outlined below:
- to be a current or retired teacher or lecturer with at least three full terms recent teaching experience in the subject you are applying for
- suitable academic qualifications in the subject, such as a degree and a teaching qualification
- to provide details of referees who we may contact. Referees should be your current or most recent head teacher or head of department, where possible
- to be a UK resident
- to be available for a period of approximately 3 weeks to undertake intensive script marking and coursework moderation in May/June (or early spring if applicable)
- to attend a mandatory face-to-face Examiner / Moderator training conference
- to have your own Windows PC or laptop with internet access outside of school premises
Some criteria may vary depending on the qualification. Please refer to the job description for specific requirements.
Before applying, please familiarise yourself with the Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 029 2026 5457. Please note, our office hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Examining and moderating is rewarding, unique and interesting and can also be undertaken alongside your existing role. There are a range of other benefits which are summarised below:
Enhance your subject knowledge
As an Examiner or Moderator, you will gain an invaluable insight into the assessment process at WJEC, enhance you skill set and also, increase the understanding of your subject. All of which can enhance your teaching.
Once you are an experienced Examiner or Moderator, there are opportunities available to progress to a senior role such as Team Leader or Principal Examiner / Moderator. More senior roles involve working at the very heart of your subject and undertaking tasks such as writing question papers and mark schemes, working as part of a specialist team to develop new specifications or managing a team of subject specialists.
Network with other teachers and experienced professionals
Build your contacts throughout the assessment process by networking with other teachers who deliver the same specification. The examining and moderating process involves interactive discussion and sharing best practice which you will find beneficial.
Receive comprehensive training and support
We provide first class training, guidance and support throughout the assessment process to ensure that you are confident in the work you will undertake. Our extensive support network is in place so you can contact your dedicated Team Leader or Principal Examiner and WJEC's Appointees team as you work through your allocated scripts. You will also have the opportunity to learn from experienced Examiners and Moderators at the face-to-face training conference.
While examining and moderating work is very rewarding and interesting, the role is flexible as marking can be completed from home and alongside your current teaching position for the short period.
Boost your income
We offer our Examiners and Moderators a competitive pay package for the work undertaken and we also cover any travel expenses to attend meetings. Where applicable, accommodation may also be covered. Terms and conditions apply.
TRAINING AND SUPPPORT
We provide Examiners and Moderators with extensive training and support from the first day of appointment to the day examination results are issued.
Our support package includes:
- An introductory guide for new Examiners and Moderators – this includes information about the training conference, script marking and logistics.
- Our annual Examiner / Moderator training conference specifically for your qualification
- Additional tailored training materials which will be issued at the conference
- Scripts and detailed mark schemes are sent to you immediately after the examination so you can familiarise yourself thoroughly with the content before the conference. If you have any questions or issues at all, you are encouraged to discuss these at the conference.
- A stationery pack including labels, instruction booklet and additional materials
- A designated Team Leader and/or Principal Examiner/Moderator who will guide you through the process
- Support via telephone and email with our experienced appointees team and your designated Team Leader and/or Principal Examiner/Moderator
- Guidance on how to use our Electronic Marking Input System (EMI)
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are interested in becoming an examiner or moderator for WJEC Eduqas, follow the steps below to apply:
1) Apply online
All applications to become an Examiner or Moderator should be made online via the appointees site. To apply, simply create an account by providing your full name, email address and select a password and security question.
Details of referees are required at the point of application so please ensure that you have all the information needed when starting the process.
Please note, applications are welcomed even if vacancies are not available at that specific time. Your application will be logged and referred to should a vacancy become available in future.
2) Provide References
Once submitted, your online application status will appear as "awaiting reference" on the site until your referee has completed your reference on the system.
3) Await Approval
Once we have received a suitable reference, your online application status will change from "awaiting reference" to "awaiting assessment". The status change will depend on the time taken to receive your references. We will then review your application in full and, if successful, your details will be added to our approved reserve list.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For information on scripts, the Appointees Portal and more, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions
Meet some of our examiners
Take a look at the videos below to find out more about examining with us from some of our Examiners.
Talk to us
Our appointees team are on hand to answer any queries you may have about examining with us029 2026 5457